7.17.2008

Inspiration

Inspiration always hits me at unpredictable times.

I have been feeling a bit morose lately, like life is happening outside my window and all I can do is sit and watch. I know that this feeling is stemming from new plan to get healthy. A plan that means lots of rest, no alcohol and following a specific diet which is hard to get at restaurants. My lifestyle up until now has pretty much revolved around going to nice restaurants and drinking wine - of course, that was never the main focus. The focus has been getting together with great friends and sharing the experience.

So, as you can imagine that the transition has been a bit rough for me. Don't get me wrong, I definitely feel "healthier" and I'm happy I'm doing this. Am I putting my life on hold OR is this simply a transition period? OR is this my "new life"?

This morning, on "walkie", Lucy and I ran into one of her favorite people friends, a woman named Susan. Susan usually walks with two other women and I have always really admired them. I always felt like they are a trio who I'd really enjoy sharing a bottle of wine with (old life, of course!) I am guessing that they are in their late 50s or maybe early 60s and seem to have a really geniune friendship with each other. They walk every single day and they walk long & far... I didn't know how far until today. Anyhoo, Susan was on her own today and happened to be turning around so we walked together for a good 1/2 mile. Our conversation was very much like conversations I have with my own fabulous girlfriends. We covered topics like how we each ended up living in the SF Bay area, family, life in general. She (of course) asked if I had kids and her response, "it will happen when it is meant to." Love that!

That 1/2 walk disappeared quickly and I wished I could blow off work and continue walking with her.

At one point I asked her how long she walks and she said, "I walk for 4 1/2 hours" !!?!?! Wow. She's in fantastic shape, but I would have guessed that she and her friends walk more in the range of 4 1/2 miles. Lucy and I are slackers in comparison!

I am truly inspired... and a bit humbled.

1 comment:

Jax said...

What a great post! You know, my Mum is following a strict diet also, one that has her having to cook 2 meals at home which she hates. She has vitiligo that is now affecting her face and is very noticiable. She didn't get it until she retired but it all stems from Stress. I feel so bad for her, she is a beautiful woman (well she is my Mum). I really admire her though, for sticking to this diet, as I admire you too. Susan is right, it will happen when it is meant to, but remember that you will always have our support and love and friendship!