3.28.2008

Lowering Expectations




I was pleasantly surprised this morning when I learned that Chris Russo, AKA Mad Dog, would be coming on my KNBR show today. I rubbed my hands with glee... how fun will this be in light of my current state of disgust with the Giants?

Chris Russo is a sportscaster at a radio station in NY who touts himself as the only SF Giants baseball fan on the East Coast. (These days, I wouldn't be surprised if he is right!)


Chris is known for his animated banter and has been known to rant and rave on air, especially when the topic is the Giants. As a fan, I have certainly always appreciated his zealousness. I thought this morning, if he gets crazed when the Giants are performing moderately well, he might just combust with anger given the Giants' current situation.


Turns out, he was surprisingly mellow on the show. Oh, don't worry, there was lots of ranting and I heard him say, "we suck" about 10 times.... but for Chris Russo standards, trust me, he was mellow. He actually had some good, constructive advice for management. Also, his message to fans was this: "find the good in the Giants this year." As a rose colored lens kinda gal, I am attracted to statements like this. He made some good points. His suggestion to management is to let the young kids play every day so they can mature into decent players, rather than continuing to let the aging, injury prone veterans play. After all, we've seen all those old guys have to offer.
He also gave the advice to fans, "lower your expectations". Of course!!! Lower expectations. I should have thought of that. I am thinking this is a good approach.... expect them to LOSE every game so that when they win, it is an exciting surprise. Genious! Chris Russo also announced on air that he intends to only watch the games when either Cain or Lincecum is pitching. I think I may adhere to that rule as well.


Thank you Chris Russo for setting me straight! I kinda feel like I just paid to see a therapist.

No comments: