4.17.2008

baby mamas vs. non-baby mamas

I'm making a conscious effort to get emails out to Kathy more frequently (see previous blog entry).

I just received an email from her and I had to highlight stuff that she wrote. Kathy has an amazing way of wording things so you go, "that's exactly what I meant!" - must be her Marketing background.

"...my eggs are mine, and yours are yours, and I am always happy when sperms and eggs meet successfully – it gives me hope. Nobody gets pregnant just to show someone else up. And one person getting pregnant doesn’t mean there are less pregnancy opportunities for other people...."

Kathy and I have had many discussions around how people in this world seem to think it is quite acceptable to ask about baby plans pretty much immediately upon a married couple's return from their honeymoon. The Honeymoon return occurred many years ago for both of us... so you can imagine the number of times we've fielded the question.

Guess a couples' sexual behavior and activity is now a public topic for discussion. Not to mention, how does anyone know that the couple hasn't just miscarried, or perhaps learned that they are infertile? I could see myself bursting out in tears if that were the case.

In addition, we've noticed some interesting behavior amongst the women in our network of friends.

The ones who have gotten pregnant and had babies, seem to have risen to a new level of existence than us non-baby mamas. These gals meet up for playdates and have their own secret language that revolves around their respective babies, breast feeding, elite preschools, etc, etc.

Olive branch emails and voicemail messages sent by the non-baby mamas to the baby mamas go unreturned. After all, we are lowly non-baby mamas.... we certainly don't deserve the respect of a response. Silly me!

It will be interesting to see how things progress as baby mamas children grow up and non-baby mamas become baby mamas....

Guess the moral of the story is we are all evolving, constantly changing individuals, and friends come and go.

I am thinking that my true friends will still be worth sending olive branch emails to when I'm old and gray.

No comments: