5.13.2008

The do gooders in the world - can I be one?

I have been thinking a lot about the truly altruistic people in this world. I have a great friend who belongs to this group of individuals. She is working for a non-profit that provides technology to areas which have been devastated by a disaster. Obviously they are quite busy in light of the recent tragedies in Myanmar and China.

Her influence has rubbed off on me... at least a little bit (I'm still selfish as ever). I've spent a lot of time in recent months searching for a suitable volunteer project that I can participate in. You'd think that it would be easy to go contribute your time to a worthy cause. Not necessarily. Many of the opportunities need help during work week hours. Many require a commitment of a few weekends in a row for orientation or training. Some of them require special technical or medical skills. Some of them just don't call you back. I thought I found a great opportunity helping the American Cancer Society with their Relay for life event. I actually got a woman on the phone who excitedly said that, yes! They need help. She said she'd contact me when they get their initial volunteer meeting scheduled. I am still waiting for that call....

Should I take a hint? Is my selfishness that transparent?

Anyways... I guess I'll keep looking but if you know of a worthy non-profit in the East Bay Area that will allow me to contribute time in the early evenings or weekends without bureaucratic red tape, send 'em my way.

No comments: