5.14.2008

WARNING: People with OCD should stay away from Twitter

Yikes! Somehow I've found a new addiction.

How did this happen?

Innocently enough, as addictions usually do... An simple email invitation from my girl, A.

I thought, Twitter? What the heck is that? A quick visit to the website did not tell me much. But when I finally figured it out and suddenly received a text message from my great friend, I thought, "hmm.... okay, pretty cool".

Come to find out, you can search for anyone in the world and "follow" them, assuming their account is open to the public. I found myself searching on Bill Gates, George Bush, Martha Stewart. As of yet, it seems to be that the majority of the members are techie geeks or savvy bloggers who want another medium to express themselves.

I am now following Guy Kawasaki, the Silicon Valley VC maven and a bunch of other technologists. The way it works is when folks post to their account via email, web, IM or text message, everyone who follows them receives that message either on the web or via text message. It's like instant messaging for the world.

So now, suddenly, I am being bombarded with a constant stream of information. I gotta say, I'm LOVING it. I'm getting great information that will certainly be valuable to me as a technology sales person and it satisfies my obsessive - compulsive need for constant stimulation. I find myself constantly hitting refresh to get my updates on the web. My favorite followee alerts are set to be sent to my blackberry.

I probably need to weed down my followee list, otherwise, I may lose my job due to the fact that I'm spending all of my time learning random stuff and not selling my existing technology solutions!



No comments: